Tallahassee's Newest Sister City: Rugao, China
Sister City Relationship
BEI’s Chinese manufacturing facility is located in the city of Rugao, Jiangsu Province, P.R.C., within the “Rugao Economic and Technology Development District’s Special Economic Zone.” Because of the connection introduced by Bing Energy, Tallahassee and Rugao established a formal Sister City relationship on October 27, 2011. The two cities expressed mutual interest to build educational programs and opportunities at the state level, stimulate economic development at the municipal level, and promote cultural understanding at the community level.
Facts about Rugao, China
- Located in the northeast Jiangsu on the northern bank of the Yangtze River.
- Slightly larger than Los Angeles, CA with a land area of 531 square miles.
- Nearly one and a half-million residents.
- Under the jurisdiction of Nantong and is made up of 23 towns, 1 provincial economic development zone and 1 city’s port economical zone.
- Famous for the longevity of its citizens with more than two hundred residents over the age of 100. It is particularly well known due to the highest long-life population ratio among the six longevity locations in China, and it is also the only one located in the coastal plain and in an industrial region.
- Largest bonsai exporter in Eastern China. Each year thousands of bonsais are exported to China’s other provinces and international markets.
Tallahassee Rugao Sister City contact: